After reading about the Country Cook’s yummy 7-Up Cake, I was truly inspired. Her cake looks and sounds delicious. I was mulling over what I could do to add a “twist”. Not that it needed anything, but I wanted to make it my own. Enter champagne. We have had plenty of strawberries in the house lately (Thank you early strawberry season in California). So I thought “Ohh! Strawberries and Champagne Cake.”
Only one problem: It’s been done. A LOT.
But I still wanted to bake a cake with champagne in it. It sounded fun and I wanted to see how it would taste...What to do...I decided to blend the cake recipes together and create my own version. One with less ingredients. Because I had never made it before I wasn’t quite sure how it was going to turn out.
Here’s the recipe:
Citrus Almond Champagne Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup/8oz. Orange Almond Champagne (or Sparkling Wine) The brand I got is made by Wilson Creek, called “Orange Mimosa”.
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix Ingredients in a stand mixer or bowl and pour into a greased bundt pan
- Bake at 350 according to the box directions (our oven is finicky and ended up being done at 30 mintues)
Allow to cool, before you add the frosting. If you don’t the heat from the cake will absorb the frosting (not necessarily bad I guess).
Citrus Champagne Frosting
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 cup champagne (can omit and sub in more orange juice)
- 1 lb of powdered sugar (I made mine with about 3/4 of a lb.)
**In a bowl, pour in champagne and OJ, slowly add in the powdered sugar and whisk as you go, mixing it to the desired consistency.
**Pour frosting over cooled bundt cake. Top with chopped almonds if desired.
- If you have any frosting left over, serve in a small bowl along side the champagne cake (warmed perhaps?), so you can pour on more if desired. (I love frosting).
- The alcohol is not necessary for this simple cake recipe, so if you want to make a more kid-friendly version you can make the 7-Up cake I linked to above, or substitute sparkling cider for the champagne (Cream soda might be yummy).