Muffin Tin Monday is now hosted at AnotherLunch.com. Head over there to see this week's link up!

6.30.2009

Kid Craft: Handprint American Flag!



Celebrate Independance Day this year by making a sweet little Handprint American Flag! You'll need a few supplies before you begin:

Supplies:

-red, white and blue paint
-blue construction paper
-paint brushes
-popsicle stick
-small star stickers
-glue stick
-scissors/paper cutter
-hole punch
-thin ribbon in red, white, or blue

Step to get you there:

1) Paint the palm of your child's hand blue and the fingers (not the thumb) red and white alternately (as shown in the photo).

(Steps 2 through 4 are conspicuously missing photos...I guess that's what happens when you have wiggle worms for kids!)
2) Place your child's hand, palm and fingers down, onto the construction paper and let dry.

3) Using scissors or a paper cutter, cut the construction paper to fit the handprint.

4) Have your child help you apply mini star stickers to the palm area.

5) Using a glue stick, have them apply glue to the top half of the popsicle stick (leaving room for little hands to grab the flag (as seen in the photo below).


6) Punch a hole in the upper left corner of the flag, and string whatever combo of the thin ribbon you wish. Tie the ribbon off and you are ready to celebrate!

22 comments:

  1. I like this--we are making something really similar to this at our home later in the week but using footprints too:-)! I love anything with my kids' "prints".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are so very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I think I have all the supplies on hand. What a perfect 4th of July craft. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the cutest flag I have seen! I had no desire to make one until I saw this. Too cute and one that you will want to keep. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet. I'm gonna do this w/my daycare kid. His mama will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute! I am going to make these with my DS later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How stinken cute is that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this festive and delightful craft!!! So fun--- this will be a treasure forever...

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is adorable!
    I wonder... Canadian Flag for Canada Day (July 1)... wouldn't work as easily, but could be done? (we are in USA right now so I can't try anyway, maybe when we get home!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just perfect! I have all the supplies on hand and my ds will love it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh snap this is perfect for sunday!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  12. very nice blog, so happy to have found it! i hope you don't mind, but i've added a link to this craft through believing nature: http://believingnature.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/handprint-american-flag/
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable!! We love handprint projects...I think we are going to give it a try after Emily's nap today :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! We'll have to make these tomorrow... where do you find tiny star stickers?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! SO CUTE!! I featured you on my blog too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Great fun blog you have here! Loved your little hand (literally) craft to make these flags!
    Featured your blog link at our children's book illustrators sketchy blog today:
    http://thesketchables.blogspot.com

    Thanks much!
    Priscilla Burris
    Author, Illustrator, Designer
    www.priscillaburris.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Handprint crafts are my favorite. This is such a great 4th of July craft!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What kind of paint did you use??

    ReplyDelete