5.14.2009

How to Create Your Own Muffin Tin Meal Theme

"Ocean" Theme - we recently went "deep sea fishing" for clams, plankton, and starfish

Coming up this week, the theme for Muffin Tin Monday will be "Choose Your Own Theme". It must be a theme based tin (although as you know I am pretty lenient where this is concerned and always allow non-themed tins to add to Mr. Linky!). I thought I would take a minute, show you how I come up with theme ideas, and subsequently food ideas for the themes. This is really just get your own creative juices flowing!

1. I try and write down on paper (cuz that's how I roll...) themes that we haven't yet done both here at Her CUp Overfloweth and at the first MTM home, Sycamore Stirrings. We done so many themes over the past year that it's hard to remember what we haven't done!

2. Once I choose a theme for the upcoming week, I brainstorm (again, on paper), what possible foods could correspond to the theme. I think in terms of shape and color first and then try and think how I could alter the foods I have on hand to make my theme work.

3. For both theme and non theme tins, I always try and work with what I already have in the kitchen. I try and get very creative. If I have to buy a food, I make sure it's something we can eat later that week or something we already buy, but we are out of. There have been a few exceptions to this, but I try and make those very few and far between (and they usually involved sugar or candy:) ). I also try and make a few items my kids are not used to eating, so they can try something new!

Here are some theme suggestions for you,
if you are struggling with deciding what to do:


Circus
Outer Space
Shapes
Children's Books
Colors/Rainbow
Foods from a specific culture or heritage (i.e. mexican, italian, japanese)
Seasonal
Holiday
Insects/Bugs/Butterflies
Toppings
Breakfast
Monsters and Aliens
Cowboys and Indians
Fairytales
Favorite Movie
Letters of the Alphabet
Numbers/Counting

Hope this is enough to get the ideas flowing for next week!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I've been racking my brain, trying to think of something for Monday's MTM. Now I can sure think of something. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list...already brainstorming for circus! My DD is in school but I may do this on Sunday evening since we have some of her friends coming over!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh...I think you just sparked an idea! Let's see if I actually make it to MTM this week. I think I've been MIA for over a month at least! Yikes!

    Hope you've been doing well, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this! I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

    I cant beleive I didnt get a Book Theme in this week. But, now that I see the MTM presented this way I think I can relate our themes to a MTM theme. For example, right now, we are studying the Okefenokee Swamp....I think I can get pretty creative with that. I'm thinking soup??!!?? Hmmm...we'll see. ;-)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son has been brainstorming tin ideas all weekend. I'm a bit anxious to hear what theme he gives me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO cute! We are having a water day next week with my playgroup and I was thinking about doing this for snack. Where did you get the blue container and star crackers?

    ReplyDelete