3.26.2009

Alphabet Match Up - A Literacy Activity

Yesterday, I posted about the importance of promoting literacy and language in young children. Here is a fantastic activity to encourage Letter Recognition/Alphabet Indentification.

Using velcro dots, I mounted flashcards (found at the dollar store - I bought two sets) on a large piece of cardboard. I put a velcro dot on the bottom front of each letter card. I made a bag/open box out of cardstock and mounted it to the lower right corner of the cardboard. This held the second set of letters (with velcro dots on the top back of each card). The kids drew from the bag and matched what they found to the letters on the board.
A close up shot of the bag with the second set of letters...

6 comments:

  1. Oh that's a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a blog anymore, so no way to get the word out other than by leaving comments. The Red River Valley, which includes the city of Fargo North Dakota, is fighting a MAJOR flood. I grew up in Fargo and still have my parents, many other family members and many friends up there. Please, please, please pray for them!!!

    Thank you!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I would love to do something with matching upper- to lowercase or pictures to words...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! It is such a easy but very effective way to work on ABC's. Thanks for the fabulous blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love this! I am going to have to make one for Little Snail. I think we think a lot a like...I love making little wooden people as gifts...check out the little house I made for them: http://thesnailstrail.blogspot.com/2009/06/handmade-birthday-dollhouse-dolls.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add you to my post and linked back to you: http://thesnailstrail.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-alphaboard-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete