11.18.2008

Christmas Photo Ornament


This is a new twist on the traditional photo ornament. You can transform any 5 x7 (or larger) photograph into an adorable Christmas ornament that is perfect for a handmade holiday gift for friends and family or to keep for yourself!

Here's how to make your own:

UPDATE: photos that are not close ups work best, otherwise the subjects head ends up at the top of the ornament

First, gather your materials: a 5x7 photograph, single hole punch, brads, string or ribbon


Using your preferred method of cutting (I used a fiskars rotary cutter, pictured above), cut your 5x7 photograph into 1/2 inch thick strips. It is important to use a 5x7 photo or larger, because, if you use the 4x6 photo, your end product will be eensy weensy teeny tiny. Trust me on this, I tried it.

The next step is very important. Keep the pieces stacked together in the order you cut them. If you don't, it may be hard to remember how the original photo looked (especially if your background is similar).


I used a chip clip to hold my strips together as I was working and hole punching.


Next hole punch the strips on each lengthwise end, and place a brad in the holes to secure the strips together.


At this stage in the process, it should look like this:


Next, work the strips out and around to form your ornament ball, like this:


Your ball should look like this:


Here's a view fromt he top, pretty cute:


Next, tie a piece of string or thin ribbon around the top brad, so you can hang your ornament on the tree:


Here's a view from the back:


Now, you are ready to hang your ornament on the tree! (now if only I had a tree to hang it on!)


Tips and Tricks:

~Cut your strips larger than the size of your brad.

~ Cover the back of your ornament with patterned paper (or color it with markers), this will hide all the "white" spaces and disguise gaps.
~ If you don't have a photograph large enough handy, try patterned cardstock paper. Have your child draw a photo or use artwork that has already been created! What a special way to preserve those treasured masterpieces!

This post sponsored by Leelou Custom Blog Design
Quality blog design, excellent customer service!

26 comments:

  1. I really like this:) That would be a great gift for the parents that I provide childcare for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo idea! We're actually making these with scrapbooking paper and decorative beads for our next MOPS craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an award for you on my family blog:)
    http://theadams7.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a GREAT idea with the photos!! I am making these with cardstock but hadn't though of that. Thanks for the GREAT tip! Cute blog :-)

    I'm doing a little giveaway on my blog if you'd like to check it out...seems appropriate to mention to such a crafty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'll try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:25 AM

    That is amazing... What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing it.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally forgot about these! I used to make these way, way back. Can't wait to do it with the kids! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is just so adorable! i am going to do that. right this second. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm soooo going to try this. What a great idea for the Grandparents' trees. I've also got 'handprint kitchen towels' in the works...we'll see how they turn out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have done these baubles before, but never thought of using a photograph.... what a splendid idea with supercute result! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute idea! i'm so doing it for gifts. and so excited because now I don't have to think of something. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I think I'm going to do it with my Chritmas cards! (I do a photo card every year). Then I will have it as a nice keepsake on my tree! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle,

    Thank you so much for letting me share this . I can't tell you enough how cool I think it is, I will be making one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've linked through from No Time For Flashcards.

    I LOVE this idea! Now, I just have to figure out where to get brads in my part of the world... and what their names is in Turkish...

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's awesome! The kids and I are going to do that today for the grandparents. THanks for the great Christmas gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! I think I'll save this for when my kids are a couple years older...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What alot of fun! Great idea! Just saw this on Stampin Mom's site!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! I plan on using it as our Christmas present in the daycare I work at.

    Question though-does it matter if the picture is horizontial or vertical?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that this is featured on the craft gossip blog today http://scrapbooking.craftgossip.com/handmake-your-holidays/2008/12/10/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! So easy. Don't you just love the cropadile?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the Christmas gift idea! We just finished making them. They turned out adorable! Grandparents will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally stealing this one too! I have the perfect pictures for these cute gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete